Team Travel Policy for Dad’s Club Swim Team
Purpose: Athletes are most vulnerable to misconduct during travel, particularly overnight stays. This includes a high risk of athlete-to-athlete misconduct. During travel, athletes are often away from their families and support networks, and the setting – new changing areas, locker rooms, workout facilities, automobiles and hotel rooms – is less structured and less familiar.
Team Travel is defined as overnight travel to a swim meet or other team activity that is planned and supervised by the club or LSC.
USA Swimming Required Policies
Club and LSC travel policies must include these policies. These items are Code of Conduct stipulations in the USA Swimming Rulebook.
- Club travel policies must be signed and agreed to by all athletes, parents, coaches and other adults traveling with the club. (305.5.D)
- Team managers and chaperones must be members of USA Swimming and have successfully passed a USA Swimming-administered criminal background check. (305.5.B)
- Regardless of gender, a coach shall not share a hotel room or other sleeping arrangements with an athlete (unless the coach is the parent, guardian, sibling, or spouse of that particular athlete). (305.5.A)
- Parental written permission is required from 17 & under swimmers sharing a room with 18 & over swimmers.
- A legal guardian must consent in writing, in advance, for every instance in which their minor athlete travels alone with an Applicable Adult. (Applicable adult = Athlete 18 & over)
- A legal guardian must consent in writing, in advance, for every instance in which their minor athlete shares a room with an Applicable Adult. (Applicable adult = Athlete 18 & over)
Dad’s Club additional Policies
- During team travel, when doing room checks, attending team meetings and/or other activities, open and observable environments should be maintained.
- Athletes should not ride in a coach’s vehicle without at least one other person present.
- During overnight team travel, if athletes are paired with other athletes they shall be of the same gender and should be a similar age. Where athletes are age 13 & over, chaperones and/or team managers would ideally stay in nearby room.
- To ensure the propriety of the athletes, there will be no male athletes in female athlete’s rooms and no female athletes in male athlete’s rooms (unless all of the following conditions are met: 1)- the door is completely open, 2) there are 3 or more people in the room and 3) Prior permission is given by the coach). *Swimmers may be asked to hang out in the lobby as a group instead. This will be determined by the lead coach on the trip.
- A copy of the Club Code of Conduct must be signed by the athlete and his/her parent or legal guardian. (all athletes agree to follow the team code of conduct after registration)
- Team should obtain a signed Liability Release and/or Indemnification Form for each athlete.
- Each Coach and chaperon should carry a signed Medical Consent or Authorization to Treat Form for each athlete.
- Curfews shall be established by the coach each day of the trip.
- Team members and staff traveling with the team will attend all team functions including meetings, practices, meals, meet sessions, etc. unless otherwise excused or instructed by a coach.
- The directions & decisions of coaches/chaperones are final.
- Swimmers are expected to remain with the team at all times during the trip. Swimmers are not to leave the competition venue, the hotel, a restaurant, or any other place at which the team has gathered without the permission/knowledge of the coach.
- When visiting public places such as shopping malls, movie theatres, etc. swimmers will stay in groups of no less than three persons. 14 & Under athletes will be accompanied by a chaperone.
- The Head Coach or his/her designee shall make a written report of travel policy or code of conduct violations to the parent or legal guardian of any affected minor athlete.
- Additional guidelines will be established as needed by the coaches;
- Must wear seat belts and remain seated in vehicles;
- Be quiet and respect the rights of teammates and others in hotel;
- Be prompt and on time;
- Respect travel vehicles;
- Follow travel dress code set by the coach;
- Use appropriate behavior in public facilities;
- Establish two different curfews – in own rooms and lights out;
- Must stay in assigned hotel room; and
- Needs and wellbeing of the team come first.
- No room service without permission;
- Swimmers responsible for all incidental charges;
- Swimmers responsible for any damages or thievery at hotel;
- Must participate in contracted group meals; and
- Communicate travel reimbursement information and policies.
A legal guardian must consent in writing, in advance, for every instance in which their minor athlete travels alone with an Applicable Adult.
With my signature below, I affirm that I have read and understand Dad’s Club Travel Policies