1949 — A 'Youth Center', used as a community center/recreation building, was constructed on the property. Sometime before 1957, a 'Boy Scout house' was built.
1952 — Following the recommendations of Louis Cutrer, plans were begun for a swimming pool and a kitchen for the Youth Center. The Lions Club donated
funds for the kitchen project. The new pool officially opened on June 12, 1953.
1953 — The first pool was outdoors and 33-1/3 meters in length, along with two diving boards, a one-meter, and a three-meter. Before the summer of 1956, a
bulkhead was installed to make the distance 25 yards for AAU-sanctioned swimming competition. There were five lanes.
Dressing rooms and bathrooms were also constructed (although not heated), and shared with the community center.
1958-1959 — Thanks to Bill Baker, the outdoor pool was heated and enclosed, although it was several years before the dressing rooms and rest rooms followed suit.
The 33-1/3 meter pool was the only indoor pool in Houston with competition diving boards through the early 1970s. For this reason, divers from the Shamrock Swim Team trained here in the winters, and Kuni Schultz helped coach them.
Melissa Briley Mieras, a former Shamrock diver, remarked, "It took a different kind of courage to train there as the pool was only eight to nine feet deep (most are 14-16). The drain on the bottom under the boards came at you really quickly and there are stories of fingers and backs getting the brunt of a good dive."
During the summers, the Dad's Club divers trained on platform at the Shamrock Hilton's outdoor, 55-yard pool, at least 14-feet deep in the diving area.
1962-1963: Construction began on an indoor, heated, 25 yard pool with seven lanes.
1963 —The indoor 25 yard pool became a reality through a generous donation from the Bill Williams Capon Dinner Group.
Parents and coaches worked diligently to make it a fast, efficient pool. John Dickinson, father of three swimmers, designed the gutters and specified the depth
to minimize backwash and enhance swimmers' performances. The lanes were wide and the lane ropes were cutting edge. Janie and Bob Walker were the first swim coaches to utilize the new pool for training.
Large sliding doors, on both the North and South sides, provided ventilation and kept the water temperature cool enough for workouts. The grassy area on the South side was used for the swimmers' dry land routines, as well as for lining up in their assigned heats at meets.
The areas beyond the pool deck included a coach's office, a storage area, a pump room, and bleachers on the North side. There were no dressing rooms or restrooms in the new pool building. On cold days, swimmers would sprint from the indoor pool to the facilities attached to the 33-1/3 meter pool.
Both pools were used for training, but the majority of swim workouts were held in the new pool, leaving the 33-1/3 meter pool for lessons, synchronized swimming, and diving practice.
the momentum behind this project. The Quicks donated $1,000 toward the costs, and the swim team families underwrote the financing for construction.
1993 — The Dad's Club Swim Team became an independent entity, separate from the YMCA, although still steered by nine board members. The swim club continued to use the YMCA pools, as well as share swimming and fitness facilities with the YMCA, on the North side of the Katy Freeway at Voss Road.
2002 — The 25 yard indoor competition pool was demolished during the expansion of the I-10 Katy Freeway. Ironically, Will Reeves, a former Dad's Club swimmer, worked as an engineer on the project. The Dad’s Club Swim Team signed a 7 year lease agreement with the YMCA for $1.00 per year for the remaining 6 acres, 2 pools, gym, locker rooms, and offices. At the end of 7 years and if Dad’s Club Swim Team was still operational, the YMCA would give the property back to Dad’s Club Swim Team.
2007 – The YMCA lease had a provision to purchase the land for $1,000,000 and terminate the lease. The Dad's Club Swim Team signed an earnest money contract to buy back the land it donated to the YMCA in 1964, and the Westside YMCA sold six acres back to the Dad's Club. The sale had a provision in it that if Dad’s Club Swim Team was still operational after 5 years, the Westside YMCA would return the $1,000,000 to the Dad’s Club Swim Team. This action occurred in July 2012 and the $1,000,000 bank loan was paid off. The City of Spring Valley passed a resolution to help the Dad's Club remain at 1006 Voss Road, its home for 54 years.
2013 – A two-phase project began, with funding provided through generous donations from local foundations, fund raising events with contributions from members, swim parents, and local businesses, as well as personal donations by board members.
Renovation of existing facilities to maintain good working conditions. This included re-roofing of the office buildings, complete renovation of the changing rooms, new air conditioning, replacement of windows, doors, and code-compliant electrical wiring.
2016: Construction completed on a new 25 yard outdoor community pool, with dual-purpose as a neighborhood pool during the summer and as a training and competition pool during the rest of the year. Included in this project are a building with washrooms, a place for pool equipment, and recreational areas for patrons to enjoy lazy summer months. The pool has an L-shaped design with a zero-depth entry away from the 7 swim lanes.
2019 - A capital campaign allowed for the 50 meter outdoor pool resurfacing and updated pool equipment.
Today, a new property and facilities master plan has been created to make the Dad’s Club right for the present and the future, bringing the pools and buildings up to the same standard of excellence as the programs that the Club provides.